From damp clothing to your bathroom wall, molds and mildew can be easily found in almost anything and anywhere.
Mold and mildew love watery and warm places. Dealing with musty-smelling growths is just as frustrating as dealing with domestic pests. They might be small in size, but they have this quality or rapid reproduction. It will not take long until the ink is dry when you realize that the fungus has invaded your space.
Many suggest using Lysol, vinegar, baking, soda, bleach, and hydrogen peroxide to keep them away from your property. Considering molds’ returning ability, it is no secret that many homeowners doubt the efficacy of those cleaning agents.
Does Lysol kill mold? Do all of those removal agents remove molds forever? The answers depend on the severity of molds’ contamination as well as the way you do such a removal treatment.
This article will specifically talk about Lysol as mold removal and how much we could actually rely on using it on a daily basis.
Table of Contents
1. Stubborn Molds and Where to Find Them
Before we talk about Lysol as mold and mildew removal, let us have a look at some common places where molds outbreak.
The first obvious place of this fungus invasion is none other than the bathrooms. The reason is simple. We use it every day, and there is no way we could skip water while in this place. This room is simply wet and damp all the time; making molds can easily penetrate their roots into tiles grouts, corner parts, the bottom part of bathtubs, etc.
Another place that is also prone to wetness and moisture is around kitchen areas. Some areas in the kitchen that will likely be heavenly for molds growth are those that are close to our stoves, sinks, and counters.
The splash of boiling water could start the growth near the stoves. In fact, water leak or something as simple as leftover food can start it all too.
Window frames that are often exposed to rain can be a place for them to live too. Even worse, if we got woods as our window frames, these spores will likely come without getting any invitation.
2. What is Lysol?
Lysol is not new among home cleaning department. This disinfectant is claimed to be able to kill 99.9% of viruses and bacteria found in many house areas.
Killing mold spores with Lysol is possible as the disinfected has these following functions that make it a great disinfectant, sanitation, and deodorant.
- As a disinfectant; something is called as one if it has the ability to eliminate microorganism. In Lysol’s case, it is no doubt that it can terminate certain types of bacteria, viruses, and fungi
- Lysol is a sanitation agent that can keep places remained clean and hygiene
- As a deodorant, Lysol can serve as odor controller. Lysol will help eliminate the musty smell and keep the air relatively fresh.
3. Using Lysol to Remove Mold Contamination
So, with all the qualities it has, will Lysol kill mold? With proper and thorough cleaning steps, Lysol can be used to remove mold contamination. In fact, it isn’t hard to do so. All you need is Lysol spray and a sponge or paper towel.
First, spray Lysol to the contaminated areas. Leave it for 10 minutes to soak. Then, use the sponge or paper towel, wipe off the molds. Just three simple and fast steps and you are free from the contamination.
4. Lysol Effectiveness for Mold Removal
What makes Lysol a molds removal is the fact that it has a bleach component. Lysol is usually used as a remover when the molds are still in their early life. When the molds have spread to the level that they can decay the places or items they sit in, Lysol cannot do much but removing the top layer molds.
At that level, the molds have strongly embedded into the places or items they live in; making it impossible for Lysol to take away everything.
Hence, once you catch young mold invasion, it is better to immediately use Lysol spray and have them cleaned.
5. Safety Precaution
Lysol is obviously not a natural based mold removal. It has bleach as a part of its active component that makes Killing molds possible to happen. Some safety precautions should always be considered before using Lysol in day to day basis.
Too much exposure to Lysol can be dangerous for your health. Some lungs, eyes, and skin related illnesses are the biggest concerns.
Make sure to have good air flow in the room where you are tackling the molds in. Wear a mask or a respirator during the process to minimize inhaling the fumes resulted from the reaction between the Lysol and the molds.
Always wear gloves when you clean your space using Lysol. Lysol tends to irritate skins by drying it out. That is why, wearing glasses will surely be handy. Meanwhile, in order to avoid the Lysol gets into your eyes, you can wear goggles. That will also be helpful for those who cannot stand their eyes from getting an irritation due to the highly concentrated fume of the Lysol and the molds.
6. Prevent Returning Molds
Again, Lysol is not quite suitable for heavy duty mold removal. Having an immediate action after the first encounter to the colony will help you have less stress to get rid of molds using Lysol.
After they are removed by Lysol solutions, it is important to condition your spaces so that they have less moisture content. That can be achieved by installing a more functioning ventilation system to the space.
Installing a bathroom fan can also help prevent the molds from growing in the bathroom area. And, It is important to have a correct assessment related to the climate where you live in. If you think that you live in a humid climate, installing dehumidifiers will be a good investment of keeping away molds invasion.
Lysol may not be able to get rid of molds that are already decayed and embedded in the place or item they live in. However, Lysol can still be useful for removing young molds colony. Besides, Lysol is pretty handy and can be purchased easily from many stores.