Mold is often found in damp places or wet surfaces. The presence of mold is usually ignored and considered not to endanger health. But, the fact is mold can trigger an allergic reaction. Fortunately, there are many ways to get rid of the mold. One of them is using alcohol. However, does alcohol kill mold instantly? Before discussing our main topic, let’s get to know about mold and what its effects on health.
Table of Contents
A. What is Mold?
Mold is not a plant but a small organism that live on damp surfaces. This type of fungus can grow anywhere, whether outdoor or indoor. Mold colors can vary, ranging from green, orange, purple, brown, white, to black.
When growing in nature, mold has an important role which helps to destroy dead trees or plants. Also, this mold can grow very fast on a moist surface. Mold multiplies by removing the small spores into the air.
B. The types of mold found at home
The mold itself has many species, which are estimated to reach tens of thousands. Some of them are harmless, but others can cause severe health problems. Below are some types of mold found at home.
This mold usually makes a colony with dark pigments, most of which are in the form of a string or cluster. It grows mostly in the spring when the temperature is warmer. Cladosporiumcan cause allergic reactions. Meanwhile, long-term exposure to this type of mold will trigger more severe conditions, such as eye, ear, and sinus infections.
2. Acremonium mold
Acremonium has a fine flour-like shape. Its color is normally orange, gray, pink or white. This mold is easy to discover on the window cover, condensation part of air humidifier, and cooling coil. Having carcinogenic properties, this mold can damage the brain function, triggers spinal cord disease, and decrease the immune system.
It is one type of mold that has allergenic properties. This mold has a velvety texture in dark green or brown. Alternaria can grow in any damp place. Exposure to this mold can trigger respiratory problems, especially asthma.
Aspergillus has spores that like a pumpkin. Further, this mold can form a thick layer on the surface. It also includes allergenic molds and can trigger respiratory problems such as asthma, lung infections, or respiratory inflammation.
C. How to kill mold?
Getting rid of mold is a tricky job. Its spores are very easy to spread so that it will appear again in another place. For severe cases, you certainly need the help of an expert. However, if the mold case in your home is relatively light, you can do it yourself. Rubbing alcohol to the mold can also be a solution to get rid of them.
D. Does rubbing alcohol kill mold?
How to kill mold rapidly? Does alcohol kill mold effectively?These questions usually arise when someone is dealing with mold. Removing mold at home must be done immediately. That’s because too long exposure to mold can trigger various types of diseases. So, alcohol can be an alternative solution for removing molds at home.
The use of alcohol is also considered to be more effective and safe, especially if applied to areas that are easily damaged. Besides, it can be a bleach substitute. Usually, people will use bleach or household cleaning products to kill mold.
So, the answer to the question “Does alcohol kill mold?” is certainly yes. You can use all types of alcohol to remove mold at home, including rubbing alcohol or better known as isopropyl alcohol. Because alcohol dries quickly and leaves no trace, it is very effective to clean areas that are porous or easily damaged if they are overly exposed to humidity.
E. Step by step using alcohol to kill mold
You must be annoyed when seeing black, white, or brown stains on the bathroom wall, kitchen wall, basement, near the water tap, etc. It is a mold that grows in the home. They develop very quickly and can trigger an allergic reaction. Long-term exposure to mold can even cause serious health problems. For that reason, you need to get rid of the mold as soon as possible when finding it in the home.
The following is a step by step removal of the mold with the help of alcohol.
- Cleaning the mold can expose you to its spores. Sure, it’s dangerous because mold can trigger allergic reactions and is harmful to your respiratory tract. So, prepare an un-vented safety glass, a pair of rubber gloves, and a breathing mask. Always wear them every time you clean the mold.
- Mix 1 gallon of hot water and 1/4 cup of detergent. You can replace the detergent with dishwashing soap. Stir the mixture thoroughly and wipe it into the area covered by mold.
- Use a brush or cloth to clean the mold spots. Repeat several times to assure the molds are completely gone.
- After that area is dry, take alcohol to disinfect it. You can use isopropyl alcohol to kill mold. Mix 1 cup of alcohol and 1 cup of water. Stir it well!
- Then dip a sponge or absorbent cloth into the mixture. Use it to wipe the surface you just cleaned from the mold. Do it several times to properly disinfect the area.
F. Use alcohol to kill mold in other surfaces
Alcohol can remove mold on objects that are sensitive or easily damaged. With a mixture of 1 cup alcohol and 1 cup of water, you can use it to clean the mold on a hard surface, like furniture or luggage. Also, you can use alcohol to kill mold on leather goods, such as a wallet, jacket, and bag.
Read also: How to Remove Mold from Jacket
G. Prevent mold from growing back
To prevent mold from growing back, you surely need to set the humidity level in the home. Follow the tips below!
- Fix all pipe leaks in your home. That is because mold can use the moisture to grow.
- Every time you see a wet surface, immediately wipe and dry it.
- Use a dehumidifier to control humidity at home. The device will help you to draw moisture in the air so that the mold has no chance to grow back.
- Ensure that your home has a good ventilation system. That particularly applies to the bathroom and kitchen that have high humidity levels.